According to the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement, Domain Registrars must take action when registrants do not verify the accuracy of their domain contact details. When contacted, registrants have 15 days to verify their details after having been contacted to do so.
In addition to this accuracy requirement by ICANN, domain contact information can be especially valuable in times of domain ownership dispute, as it can help come to a resolution.
If your domain contact details are not valid, this can create further issues verifying domain ownership.
If your domain has been suspended by ICANN, your domain services will cease to function, and your website will display a temporary page indicating the domain has been suspended. Instructions can be found on the page to help you re-activate the domain using email and a security captcha.
- Account vs. domain contacts
- Managing or updating domain contacts
- Understanding domain contact options
Account vs. domain contacts
Account contact information is what ExactHosting uses to identify you as our customer or client. These are the first contact options we will use in sending notices regarding invoices, service suspensions, changes to the platform or interface, or general newsletters if you're subscribed.
Domain registrant and contact information are how you want ICANN/the registrar/ExactHosting to identify the domain owner on your behalf.
Managing or updating domain contacts
- Login to the Exact Hosting portal.
- At the top of the client area, click on Domains.
- Click anywhere on the row next to the domain you wish to manage.
- Select the option for Contact information under the Manage menu to the left side of the page.
- Here you will be able to view and edit full contact details for the domain registrant, admin, and tech contacts. These contact details are used by the registrar to send information relevant to your domain regarding upcoming renewals, contact information confirmations, and more.
Option 1: Use existing account contact
Select this if you want the domain contacts to match the account contact details.
Option 2: Specify custom information below
Select this if you want to manually input information that is different than the account holder.
- After making alterations to the domain contacts, scroll to the bottom of the page and select Save changes.
Understanding domain contact options
Individual or organization registering the domain name.
|Individual or organization authorized by the registrant to manage the domain.
|Individual or organization responsible for technical management, such as DNS.